Work at UH Advertisement
- To begin August 2018, or as soon thereafter as possible. The Department of Chemistry, University of Hawaii at Manoa expects to hire a tenure-track faculty member (Assistant Specialist) who will serve the department by teaching General Chemistry lectures and labs, and by working with other faculty to develop and implement modern approaches to chemistry instruction. T
- Teach undergraduate general chemistry lecture courses (one course per semester).
- Teach general chemistry lab courses. Recruit and supervise graduate teaching assistants and undergraduate teaching interns and assist the Chair in the supervision of undergraduate lab support staff and student employees.
- Serve as the department-level coordinator of the Learning Assistant Program. Recruit and train undergraduate Learning Assistants for general chemistry courses.
- Develop and implement evidence-based instructional methodologies in general chemistry courses; assist other faculty with implementation and assessment of new methodologies.
- Coordinate assessment of undergraduate chemistry courses and work with the Associate Chair and support staff in writing assessment reports.
- Serve as the UHM liaison to establish and maintain consistent chemistry education standards at all UH system campuses in support of articulation agreements.
- Maintain a scholarly profile in the area of chemistry education, including the development and modification of experiments and publication of new lab manuals.
- M.S. in Chemistry or a closely related field
- Thirty credits of graduate study in chemistry or a closely related field
- At least three years of experience in chemistry education
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or a closely related field
- At least three years of experience teaching college-level general chemistry and general chemistry labs
- Experience with the supervision of teaching assistants
- Familiarity with course and program development and assessment
- Ability to conduct research and publish results in peer-reviewed journals
- Ability to attract external funding for instructional programs and undergraduate research
- College of Natural Sciences, Department of Chemistry
- 2545 McCarthy Mall
- Honolulu, HI 96822-2275
- Department Chair: Prof. Joseph Jarrett; firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.