Work at UH Advertisement
- Special Funds. Renewal subject to position clearance, availability of funds, satisfactory job performance, and actual staffing needs.
- Reviews requests for all appointments assigned such as instructional, non instructional casual, non-credit and overload appointments for accuracy and completeness. (continued below)
- Ensures actions are in compliance with collective bargaining agreements, administrative procedures, including but not limited to, appropriate account codes, justification, etc.
- Determines the correct method of payroll payment, e.g., lag, non-lag, after the fact, etc. Ensures that personnel transactions are processed and submitted to the payroll office to meet payroll deadlines.
- Reviews and oversees the processing of appropriate supporting documents for new appointments, resignations, terminations, leaves without pay, transfers, pay changes, account codes and status changes.
- Assists in completing forms for filling of civil service positions, APT and faculty positions.
- Ensures that documents for all transactions for assigned area of responsibility, such as new hires, transfers, terminations, retirements and all other personnel transactions have been completed thoroughly and accurately.
- Reviews appointments and employment forms such as I-9s, salary schedules, benefit forms, etc. to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Advises applicants and departments on matters related to I-9 requirements (including certification) and monitors certification/verification of documents to ensure that all departments are in compliance with INS laws.
- Resolves faculty and staff problems regarding employee health benefits for eligibility, procedures, rules and regulations, retirement, leaves, employment status, annuity, deferred compensation, tuition waiver, payroll procedures and pay adjustments.
- Interprets collective bargaining agreements and advises best method or alternatives to use. Keeps abreast with current laws, rules and regulations. Makes research on websites and/or contacts appropriate officials for appropriate applications.
- Oversees and ensures that the maintenance and processing of vacation and sick leave requests, leave without pay, family leave, military leave, etc. are in compliance with collective bargaining agreements and administrative procedures. (continued below)
- Replies to inquiries and resolves any discrepancies with employees, supervisors, deans, etc.
- Oversees and reviews leave edit reports to ensure the timeliness of reporting. Oversees the notification of possible forfeiture of vacation leave and ensures that employees receive notification of action.
- Audits G-2’s for college personnel. Ensures that copies of G-2’s are accurate and sent to the appropriate officials for action.
- Oversees the review & processing of compensation for employee fringe, D-55, D-56, meals, temporary assignment, etc. Ensures that forms and documents are sent to the appropriate offices on a timely basis to comply with collective bargaining agreements.
- Responsible for overseeing the leave share program. Ensures processing is in compliance with all pertinent rules and regulations, administrative procedures and collective bargaining agreement.
- Serves as the campus liaison for workers’ compensation cases. Conducts initial investigations of workers’ compensation claims, including interviewing claimants, supervisors, and witnesses. Completes appropriate forms and process claims.
- Serves as the College’s liaison with the third party insurance company to respond to inquiries and resolves any problems.
- Reviews employee’s leave status and advises possible eligible employees to file Temporary Disability Benefit claims for civil service employees. Reviews claims and determines eligibility for benefits. (continued below)
- Prepares appropriate payroll worksheets to process payment of benefits.
- Administers rules and regulations, and develops campus policies and procedures for the Student Employment and Cooperative Education (SECE) program. Oversees the processing of student appointments.
- Assists in developing and writing student assistant position descriptions. Establishes and/or classifies position classifications and pay. Reviews requests for pay increment and/or promotion.
- Keeps abreast of laws relating to disclosure of confidential information in accordance with administrative procedures, Office of Information and Practices directives, FERPA, etc. Advises Human Resources staff of changes.
- Reviews and approves out-service training requests for civil service employees.Assists in the planning and coordination of various campus events to benefit staff development.
- Distributes information on upcoming training programs and ensures that appropriate forms are completed on a timely basis for training and workshops.
- Responds to inquiries regarding benefits, e.g., pay rates for holidays, overtime, night differential, leaves, temporary assignments, etc. in accordance with collective bargaining agreements, personnel policies and procedures, rules and regulations.
- Reviews requests for tuition waiver and approves/disapproves requests. Maintain records and prepares reports as required.
- Initiates, develops and prepares customized summary reports as needed using software such as BRIO, prepares spreadsheets.
- Prepares all payroll/personnel notification forms for Faculty and APT appointments using the computerized human resources information system primarily for assigned area and provides assistance to other assigned areas.
- Manages the maintenance of official personnel files. Disposes, archives and/or transfers records in accordance with established rules and regulations.
- Administers university personnel policies and procedures and collective bargaining agreement provisions with regard to filing documents and making records available to appropriate personnel.
- Manages all employment transactions, benefits, employment and employment documents for assigned employees.
- Manages all student employment activity for assigned area and assists other areas as needed to provide continuity of services.
- This position is assigned to effectively manage all aspects of human resources services for assigned employees, prospective and former employees and assists in unassigned areas and employees to provide professional, personalized and efficient services.
- Keeps up to date to changes in Human Resources and related policies, laws, procedures, benefits, collective bargaining agreements, etc.
- Manages all benefits and human resource activities for employees of assigned areas such as Workers Compensation, TDI, Unemployment, verifications of employment, leaves, timesheets, temporary assignments, performance appraisals, student employment, etc.
- Manages student employment for assigned area or responsibility and assists as needed to ensure continuity of service.
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree in Business Administration, human resources management or related field and 1 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for human resources management ; or equivalent education/training or experience.
- Functional knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in human resources management demonstrated by knowledge, understanding and ability to apply concepts, terminology.
- Functional knowledge and understanding of principles, theories, federal and state laws, rules, regulations and systems associated with human resources.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize problems, identify possible causes and resolve the full range problems that may commonly occur in the areas of human resources.
- Demonstrated ability to understand oral and written documentation, write reports and procedures, and communicate effectively in a variety of situations.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team members and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and apply word processing software.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and apply personnel and general administrative rules and regulations to a variety of work situations.
- Knowledge of wide range of employee benefits.
- Strong background and experience working with a computerized human resources information system such as PeopleSoft, database programs, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Evidence of ability to effectively perform work under conditions of multiple priorities, deadlines, and interruptions.
- Kelli Brandvold; 808-734-9575; email@example.com
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
In accordance with Article 10A of the unit 08 collective bargaining agreement, bargaining unit members receive priority consideration for APT job vacancies. As a result, external or non BU 08 applicants may not be considered for some APT vacancies. BU 08 members with re-employment rights or priority status are responsible for informing the hiring unit of their status.