Work at UH Advertisement
- Provides professional human resources (HR) support & is responsible for a wide range of HR mgmt activities involving unique situations due to the agricultural nature of CTAHR & state-wide distribution of programs & staff.
- Assists with the review and processing of BOR, GA & civil service hiring, terminations, resignations, casual hire appt, & other HR requests in compliance with UH policies, procedures, applicable laws, visa requirements & CBA provisions.
- Assists with advising managers, supervisors and staff on applicable laws, policies, procedures, practices, and collective bargaining agreement provisions. Obtains guidance from senior HR staff on situations of higher technical complexity.
- Assists in the review of position descriptions for classification actions & position announcements for compliance with position specifications, administrative procedures, & other pertinent policies, regulations & laws.
- Assist with the coordination of employee benefits such as health benefits & tax shelter annuities. Keep abreast of current rules and regulations related to employee benefits.
- Assists with the update & maintenance of online leave for CTAHR. Ensure compliance with State/University guidelines/requirements of the Human Resource Information System. Ensure leave requests & adjustments are accurate & processed in a timely manner.
- Assist in handling of workers' compensation claims, including processing claims to 3rd party administrator in a timely manner and in accordance with policies & procedures. Assists in routine cases.
- Assist in the maintenance of the PeopleSoft (PS) system for CTAHR & keep abreast of current procedures and features. Ensure the propriety of and proper, accurate, & timely processing of all personnel actions under PS.
- Assists in compiling and analyzing personnel data from existing files and records in response to inquiries, reports and surveys. Prepare draft responses for review by senior HR staff or supervisor.
- Assist in coordinating and conducting training and orientation sessions for CTAHR faculty and staff.
- Keep abreast of changes in human resources management and assists in assessment impact on college HR operations and practices.
- Assists in advising employees of changes in laws, rules, health plan coverage, etc and resolves benefit related issues, problems and questions with system, campus and external agencies.
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree in human resources, business administration or related area and 0 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for human resources; or equivalent education/training or experience.
- Functional knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in human resources demonstrated by knowledge, understanding and ability to apply concepts, terminology.
- Functional knowledge and understanding of principles, theories, federal and state laws, rules, regulations and systems associated with human resources.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize problems, identify possible causes and resolve the full range problems that may commonly occur in the human resources.
- Demonstrated ability to understand oral and written documentation, write reports and procedures, and communicate effectively in a variety of situations.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team members and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and apply word processing software.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise judgement, tact and discretion in applying and explaining policies and procedures.
- Some experience in human resources at a college/university.
- Some knowledge of the UH structure, administrative procedures, and relevant practices.
- Ms. Janice Muraoka
- College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources
- CTAHR Personnel
- 3050 Maile Way, Room 207
- Honolulu, HI 96822
- Janice Muraoka; 808-956-6184
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
In accordance with Article 10A of the unit 08 collective bargaining agreement, bargaining unit members receive priority consideration for APT job vacancies. As a result, external or non BU 08 applicants may not be considered for some APT vacancies. BU 08 members with re-employment rights or priority status are responsible for informing the hiring unit of their status.