Work at UH Advertisement
- University of Hawai'i at Manoa, College of Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, invites applications for a full-time, general funds, tenure track, faculty position, pending position clearance and availability of funds. To begin approximately August 1, 2018 or as soon thereafter as possible. The University of Hawai‘i is a Carnegie doctoral/research-extensive university with a strong emphasis on research and graduate education. The Department offers B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees, and its undergraduate program is ABET accredited. Current enrollment is approximately 300 undergraduate and 60 graduate students with 16 faculty members. For more information on the department, please visit cee.hawaii.edu.
- To teach in person or by distance delivery methods assigned courses or seminars in structural analysis, finite element analysis, structural dynamics, engineering mechanics, and mechanics of materials, including concepts of sustainability where appropriate;
- To develop advanced courses in areas of expertise, supervise independent study, and participate in curriculum development activities;
- To develop an extramurally-funded research program that leads to publication in leading scholarly journals;
- To serve as academic advisor to undergraduate, M.S. and Ph.D. students;
- To serve on Departmental, College, and University committees;
- To render service to the professional or lay community relevant to the individual’s academic specialty;
- To perform related tasks as assigned.
- An earned Ph.D. (ABD will be considered; degree must be earned before date of hire) in civil engineering or a closely related field.
- Expertise in an emerging research area related to structural engineering. Such areas may include, but are not limited to: infrastructure resilience to natural hazards (hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, flooding, etc.); structural health monitoring; structural system optimization; adaptation of coastal infrastructure to withstand natural hazards, sea level rise and climate change.
- Demonstrated research productivity and publication of scholarly materials.
- Demonstrated ability as a teacher, including ability to teach graduate courses in area of expertise, as well as general undergraduate courses in civil engineering.
- Poise and good address for meeting and conferring with others.
- Familiarity with preparation of research proposals and knowledge of research funding sources in area of expertise.
- Record of publications in leading journals.
- Experience working on extramurally-funded, multi-disciplinary research teams.
- Dr. Panos Prevedouros, Professor and Dept. Chair; email@example.com
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.