Work at UH Advertisement
- To begin August 1, 2018. Screening of applications will begin on February 1, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled. The Department of Microbiology at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa is seeking an individual to conduct research in bacterial infectious diseases, and/or bacterial genetics, and/or bacterial immunology, to fill an open rank tenure-track faculty position. The Department of Microbiology is scheduled to move to a new building in 2019. A start -up package will be commensurate with qualifications and research needs. Position is funded using general funds.
- Initial teaching obligations will consist of developing and teaching an undergraduate lecture and laboratory course in clinical aspects of medical microbiology, to facilitate the Microbiology graduate's qualification for National Certification as a Clinical Microbiologist, which includes specimen processing and identification algorithms. Alternative teaching duties will include an undergraduate course with a laboratory, and a graduate course in the area of specialty. Research interests should include bacterial infectious diseases, and/or bacterial genetics, and/or bacterial immunology. In addition, to render service to the professional community which is relevant, to participate in curriculum development activities including the development of curricula; to participate on committees, and to perform other related tasks as assigned.
- Additional Duties and Responsibilities for the Associate Professor Position: To serve as chair of committees, to serve as department chair when needed
- Applicants must have a PhD in Microbiology or a related field, and a publication and funding record commensurate with their rank: junior applicants should have prior postdoctoral experience, demonstrated ability as a teacher, and poise and good address for meeting and conferring with others.
- Additional Minimum Qualifications for Associate Professor: A minimum of four years of full-time college or university teaching at the rank of assistant professor or equivalent, with evidence of increasing professional maturity. Demonstrated ability to plan and organize assigned activities, including the supervision of work of assistants when appropriate.
- College of Natural Sciences / Department of Microbiology
- Attn.: Search Committee Chair
- 2538 McCarthy Mall, Sny 207
- Honolulu, HI 96822
- Dr. H Gert de Couet; 808-956-8603; email@example.com
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.