Work at UH Advertisement
- Review of applications will begin on or about November 3, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, applications should be submitted by October 10, 2017.
- Administration of All School of Medicine Research
- Under the direction of the Dean, ensures compliance with all state, federal, and university rules and regulations as related to the conduct of scientific inquiry at the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM).
- Assists the Dean in the overall day-to-day administration of all JABSOM research operations, to include working on the Dean’s behalf to oversee all functional areas for the school’s administration of research development and infrastructure relating to planning, policy development, and program supervision.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures related to research at JABSOM, to facilitate the conduct of sound and safe research.
- Ensures the mission, vision, and goals of JABSOM are met to continually maintain the highest quality research and teaching efforts, and fosters an environment in which excellence in research enhances the mission of the school, campus, and university.
- Facilitates the research agenda of JABSOM, focusing on knowledge generation and translational practice relevant research.
- Develops and implements formal guidance and support mechanisms to assist faculty with individuals program of research.
- Develops and coordinates resources to facilitate scholarly achievement of faculty and students.
- Develops and manages the research operating budget.
- Develops and maintains continuous quality improvement programs for the research component within the school.
- Oversees administrative and fiscal responsibilities for JABSOM research infrastructure via the Office of Research and Extramural Programming, ensuring sound fiscal management and compliance with regulations for grants and contracts.
- Enhances the function of the JABSOM grants application and management offices in conjunction with Institutional Review Board (IRB), Office of Research Services (ORS), and other entities on the UH Manoa campus.
- Serves as a liaison between clinical research training, clinical outcomes assessment, clinical research networks and translational research.
- Assists the Dean with oversight of research support faculty and staff.
- May maintain own program of research as evidenced by publications and research grants.
- University, Public and Community Relations
- Assists Center/Institute Directors in the development and implementation of strategic plans for research centers/institutes in collaboration with other UH campus and community entities.
- Assists the JABSOM Dean with fundraising for research, including working with hospital system leadership to provide academic mission support for strategically-focused research programs.
- Assists with research linkages within the UH system and into the Pacific, as well as between JABSOM and mainland institutions.
- Helps the JABSOM Dean sustain focused research themes at the School that resonate with the community or our collective strengths (especially in support of JABSOM research infrastructure grants).
- Develops and maintain the cross-disciplinary and cross-school relationships required to increase the research visibility and productivity of JABSOM, the campus, and the university.
- Maintains a network of state, national and international research relationships.
- All other duties as assigned by the dean.
- Doctorate (e.g., PhD or MD) from an accredited college or university.
- Five (5) years professional experience working in an administrative management at an accredited medical school or equivalent research leadership experience. Such experience shall include overseeing complex research operations in compliance with university rules and state and federal laws, facilitating resources for faculty and students, and collaborating (specifically, as Principal Investigator) with other principal investigators and researchers on a diverse portfolio of extramurally funded projects.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of research operations in an accredited medical school.
- Knowledgeable of the policies and practice involved in the administration of a medical school.
- Demonstrated knowledge working with unionized faculty in higher education.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to cultivate collaborative relationships, solve problems, think creatively and resolve conflicts.
- In addition to PhD or MD degree, either possess an MBA, MPH, JD, or MEd.
- Dr. Satoru Izutsu, Vice Dean
- John A. Burns School of Medicine
- Dean's Office
- JABSOM Medical Education Building, 2nd Floor
- Honolulu, HI 96813
- Jeffery Long, JABSOM Human Resources; 808-692-1172; firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.