Work at UH Advertisement
- Coordinate labs for Cell and Molecular Biology (BIOL 275L) and Genetics (BIOL 375L), including in Summer Session
- Preparation and maintenance of laboratory materials, solutions, supplies and equipment
- Ordering, procuring and inventorying supplies and equipment
- Instructing subordinates in operation and preparation of equipment
- Testing and evaluating new procedures and new equipment
- Devise and test new lab exercises for student labs in consultation with faculty
- Write up new experiments and revise existing experiments in forms suitable for manuals for lab coordinator, TAs and students
- Supervise the activities of teaching assistants and teaching interns in the labs for cell and molecular biology, and genetics; including conducting weekly meetings and insuring that all rules and regulations are followed
- Administer student evaluations for teaching assistants
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree in biological sciences or related field and 2 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for academic support in the biological sciences; or equivalent education/training or experience.
- Considerable working knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in the biological sciences, particularly cell and molecular biology and genetics, as demonstrated by the broad knowledge of the full range of pertinent standard and evolving concepts, principles and methodologies.
- Considerable working knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations and theories and systems associated with biological sciences.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve wide ranging complex problems through the use of creative reasoning and logic to accurately determine the cause of the problems and the resolution of the problems in an effective, innovative and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and present information and ideas clearly and accurately in writing, verbally and by preparation of reports and other materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members, and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and apply word processing software.
- For supervisory work, demonstrated ability to lead subordinates, manage work priorities and projects, and manage employee relations.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Masters of Science in biology or related field
- Corey Nakamoto
- College of Natural Sciences (0081177)
- 2565 McCarthy Mall, Keller 201
- Honolulu, HI 96822
- Pia Dizon; email@example.com
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
In accordance with Article 10A of the unit 08 collective bargaining agreement, bargaining unit members receive priority consideration for APT job vacancies. As a result, external or non BU 08 applicants may not be considered for some APT vacancies. BU 08 members with re-employment rights or priority status are responsible for informing the hiring unit of their status.