Work at UH Advertisement
- Job Order # 1364353. Positions are part-time, casual hire appointments for non-credit instructors for Fall & Spring: July 3, 2017 to June 30, 2018, contingent upon course offerings, student enrollment and availability of funds.
- Plan, organize, prepare for and execute instruction in English to various ages of ESL students (above age 18 for regular program and above age 15 for customized programs).
- Provide instruction that is consistent in quality and coordinated with other instructors.
- Administer academic and language assessments for the purpose of evaluating student progress in English language acquisition.
- Address all aspects of communication through appropriate instruction that develops each student’s ability to read, write, speak, and listen in the appropriate content area.
- Maintain complete and accurate records of student progress and evidence of growth and progress.
- Adapt curriculum to provide individual, small group, and/or remedial instruction as to meet the needs of individual students.
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior required to run an orderly, nurturing, and productive classroom environment.
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques and strategies to meet different aptitudes and interests of students.
- Manage allotted learning time to maximize student achievement.
- Oversee assigned out-of-classroom activities during the school day, as needed.
- Participate in non-teaching duties including assisting with student placement and orientation, participating in UH Maui College campus activities, attending staff meetings, and submitting paperwork correctly and on time.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Two years of full-time instructor ESL teaching experience.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to assess developmental stages and well-being of ESL students.
- Ability to facilitate group discussion, analyze situations, and draw conclusions.
- Excellent personal, interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to keep concise records and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to incorporate learning technologies into the classroom environment.
- Ability to create action plans.
- Ability to adapt to changing work priorities and maintain flexible working hours.
- Graduate degree in ESL or a closely related field (CELTA and DELTA certification acceptable).
- Written and oral fluency in non-English languages.
- Experience teaching in an ESL or International Education Program overseas or in the United States.
- Experience in curriculum development.
- UH Maui College - Human Resources
- 310 Kaahumanu Avenue
- Kahului, HI 96732
- Melissa Mauliola; 808-984-3525; firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.