Work at UH Advertisement
- Full-time, 9-month, tenure-track position general funds, to begin approx. August 1, 2017, pending position clearance, availability of funds, and actual staffing requirements.
- Under general supervision, design, deliver, and assess instruction in Communications and perform other teaching-related duties that include but are not limited to:
- Planning, organizing, and independently carrying out instructional and non-instructional assignments;
- Preparing course syllabi and reports related to teaching and student progress;
- Maintaining office hours for academic advising and conferring with students about course work (one office hour per week, per three-credit class);
- Developing teaching strategies, instructional materials and methods which use computers in instruction where appropriate and integrating writing, technology, and critical thinking skills in course content where appropriate;
- Designing, delivering, and assessing instruction in terms of course competencies and student learning outcomes;
- Developing and/or updating curriculum, teaching methods and assessment strategies to improve student learning based on assessment results;
- Participating and complying with collaborative departmental decisions regarding instructional matters such as texts, assignments, and grading standards; and
- Participating in department and/or institutional assessments of student learning.
- Non-teaching duties include:
- Engaging in public service related to one?s professional status and/or expertise;
- Engaging in professional development, and
- Engaging in professional and scholarly activities related to one's discipline or teaching.
- Master’s degree in Communication
- Minimum qualification must be met by the effective date of appointment.
- Successful three years teaching experience (as substantiated by student and peer evaluations) in teaching courses that emphasize theories and research methodologies in the areas of interpersonal, intercultural, rhetorical, organizational, mass and social media communication at the community college/university level.
- Design and deliver instruction that adheres to the hallmarks of writing intensive classes when needed.
- Evidence of commitment to the mission and values of the Community College’s open door policy for diverse learners.
- Evidence of commitment to Kapi‘olani Community College’s mission of positioning the college as a leading Native Hawaiian/indigenous-serving higher education institution.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with peers, department chairs, and administrators.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, execute, and complete projects, including setting specific objectives and measuring results.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear prose as substantiated by publications or writing samples.
- Nawa‘a Napoleon, Dean of Arts and Sciences
- Kapi‘olani Community College
- 4303 Diamond Head Road, Ilima 206
- Honolulu, HI 96816
- Nawa‘a Napoleon, Dean of Arts and Sciences; 808-734-9472; email@example.com
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.