Work at UH Advertisement
- Responsible for coordinating and managing the College’s Shared Services program, under the direction from the Dean's Office.
- Supervises, trains and directs the Shared Services staff in carrying out the fiscal, budgetary and HR support needs of various College of Social Sciences departments.
- Serves as a member of Dean’s Office, providing administrative direction for departments, and as a resource person available to the College for UH and Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii (RCUH) fiscal and personnel administration information.
- Manages all phases of fiscal and budgetary needs for departments, including but not limited to expenditures, procurement, travel documents, payments and other fiscal documents in compliance with federal, state, and university rules and regulations.
- Develops and implements standardized budget management reports for various departments in the college.
- Provides financial information for all funds, including General, Special (tuition, outreach, summer), Revolving, Private, Federal, etc. on a timely basis on budgets, allocations, encumbrances, expenditures to various depts in the college.
- Handles and advises on complex financial transactions, including but not limited to subawards and contracts.
- Advises departments on proper procurement and personnel procedures according to federal, state, UH and RCUH administrative policies and procedures.
- Independently researches applicable procurement policy/law before authorizing use of public funds to make allowable purchases. Purchases authorized have direct audit impact if found to be inappropriate use of public funds.
- Assists principal investigators with intramural and extramural grants, including but not limited to preparing budgets, financial responses and variances.
- Reconciles internal fiscal records with official University reports; prepares correcting entries/general error corrections as needed, and maintains department files and documents.
- Advises on various personnel actions related to university and RCUH funded positions.
- Monitors, reviews and evaluates accounting and personnel transactions for various departments in the college.
- Monitors appropriate and timely processing of all personnel and payroll documents for approval and payment. Reconciles payments to employment documents.
- Reviews personnel documents to ensure personnel actions are in compliance with appropriate Federal, State, and University and RCUH guidelines.
- Resolves fiscal and/or personnel matters as they arise.
- Provides training of college support staff in the areas of UH and RCUH procurement, financial and personnel administration.
- Reviews and evaluates the processes of Shared Services and makes recommendations to result in increased efficiencies and service.
- Keeps abreast of changes/updates in applicable administrative policies and procedures.
- Assists with college-wide functions as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field and 3 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for fiscal and/or personnel and/or office management; or equivalent education/training or experience.
- Considerable working knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in the fiscal and/or personnel and/or office management as demonstrated by the broad knowledge of the full range of pertinent standard and evolving concepts, principles and methodologies.
- Considerable working knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations and theories and systems associated with fiscal and/or personnel administration.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve wide ranging complex problems through the use of creative reasoning and logic to accurately determine the cause of the problems and the resolution of the problems in an effective, innovative and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and present information and ideas clearly and accurately in writing, verbally and by preparation of reports and other materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members, and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and apply word processing software.
- For supervisory work, demonstrated ability to lead subordinates, manage work priorities and projects, and manage employee relations.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Ability to exercise judgment, tact, patience and discretion in applying and explaining policies, procedures, rules and regulations to personnel within the organization, system offices and other organizations.
- Experience working in a professional level in higher education.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to apply spreadsheet software, such as Excel.
- Master's degree in business administration or related field.
- Working knowledge of the administrative processes of the University of Hawaii and/or Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii.
- College of Social Sciences, Dean's Office
- Attn: Dean Gushiken
- 2500 Campus Road, Rm 310
- Honolulu, HI 96822
- Dean Gushiken; 808-956-6054; firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
In accordance with Article 10A of the unit 08 collective bargaining agreement, bargaining unit members receive priority consideration for APT job vacancies. As a result, external or non BU 08 applicants may not be considered for some APT vacancies. BU 08 members with re-employment rights or priority status are responsible for informing the hiring unit of their status.