Work at UH Advertisement
- Serves as human resources specialist for Student Housing Services with an emphasis in labor relations.
- Keeps abreast of laws, directives, Administrative Procedures, collective bargaining and policy decisions.
- Advises staff on applicable laws, practices, collective bargaining provisions, policies and procedures relating to human resources.
- Interprets all collective bargaining contracts and their provisions, policies & procedures and other documents to analyze and provide appropriate recommendation for action when required.
- Provides sound analysis and advice to administrators on a variety of human resources issues including but not limited to: recruitment & selection, performance issues, disciplinary, etc.
- Provides alternative courses of action that require the extensive understanding of complex and sensitive problems and issues related to the individual units within the department.
- Conducts and serves as lead in investigations. Identifies & interviews complaint(s) and all witnesses, ensuring that investigations are completed thoroughly and timely.
- Establishes and continues effective working relationships with Union representatives to ensure that department is represented in its best interests.
- Reviews and audits classification & compensation actions. Ensures appropriate classification based on D/R, MQs, DQs, and appropriate compensation based on qualification, KSAs background, equity, etc.
- Monitors the performance review and evaluation of APT and Civil Service employees and helps ensure forms are correctly completed and submitted on a timely basis.
- Operates a computerized human resources information system to ensure accuracy and timely processing of personnel actions.
- Plans, develops, implements and conducts various training activities for professional and clerical personnel.
- Maintains an internal database file system of all employees for the collection, recording and reporting of personnel data, transactions and other information as required in assembling and compiling historical data or reports.
- Plans, initiates and supervises APT and CS recruitments (i.e., publicity, application procedures, selection process). Works directly with Student Affairs, and appropriate campus & system offices.
- Assists in managing workers’ compensation claims, including processing claims to third party administrator in a timely manner and in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Audits & processes various personnel transaction forms & employee benefit documents associated with new hires, terminations & resignations of full-time employees for conformance with existing rules & regulations, policies & procedures.
- Assists supervisor with special projects relating to reorganizations, salary adjustments, benefits or other aspects related to managing a human resources program.
- Prepares various reports, manuals, correspondences, and other informational materials.
- Serves on departmental, divisional and university-wide committees, planning efforts, and programs as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree in human resources management, business administration, education or related field and 3 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for human resources management with experience in labor relations; or equivalent education/training or experience.
- Considerable working knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in the human resources management with experience in labor relations as demonstrated by the broad knowledge of the full range of pertinent standard and evolving concepts, principles and methodologies.
- Considerable working knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations and theories and systems associated with human resources management with experience in labor relations.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve wide ranging complex problems through the use of creative reasoning and logic to accurately determine the cause of the problems and the resolution of the problems in an effective, innovative and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and present information and ideas clearly and accurately in writing, verbally and by preparation of reports and other materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members, and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and apply word processing software.
- For supervisory work, demonstrated ability to lead subordinates, manage work priorities and projects, and manage employee relations.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of public sector human resources management with experience in labor relations.
- Experience with computerized human resources information systems and database programs.
- Knowledge of the University of Hawaii's organizational structure, its policies, procedures and administrative rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of Student Housing Services policies and procedures.
- Search Committee #78729
- Student Housing Services - Frear
- 2569 Dole Street
- Honolulu, HI 96822
- Kaprice Rita; 808-956-0549; firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
In accordance with Article 10A of the unit 08 collective bargaining agreement, bargaining unit members receive priority consideration for APT job vacancies. As a result, external or non BU 08 applicants may not be considered for some APT vacancies. BU 08 members with re-employment rights or priority status are responsible for informing the hiring unit of their status.