Work at UH Advertisement
- General funded positions, may begin approximately August 2017, pending availability of funds and actual staffing requirements. Assignments may include teaching on- and off- campus; day, evening or weekend classes; distance education assignments using multiple methodologies; and travel between Hilo, West Hawai`i, and other off-site locations. Position may be converted from 9 to 11 months or 11 to 9 months based on operational needs.
- Under general supervision, teach courses associated with the introduction to the profession of nursing and allied health; teach nursing courses in the Associate Degree Nursing and the Practical Nursing Programs, supervise student clinical experience and conduct seminars at the community college in one or more of the following areas: fundamentals, adult health nursing, mental health nursing, family health nursing and to perform related work as assigned.
- As an instructor, supervise students in skills practice, high fidelity patient simulations, computer mediated instruction, and presentations.
- Related work activities include, but are not limited to participating in student recruitment; preparing course syllabi, and maintaining office hours for academic advising and for conferring with students about coursework.
- Prepare, revise, and assess course objectives and student learning outcomes at the course, program and college levels.
- Perform non-instructional assignments including:
- 1) working collegially to provide service to the department and college, and to the community,
- 2) engaging in public service related to one's profession and/or expertise,
- 3) engaging in professional self-development activities, and
- 4) engaging in professional or scholarly activities related to one's discipline or teaching.
- Commitment to community college principles and philosophy is essential.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing with at least one year of hospital experience in one of the areas of teaching responsibility. (Preferably this experience will have been gained within the last five years of date of application.)
- Registered nurse eligible for Hawai`i State License. License required by effective date of employment.
- If qualified applicants are not available, others will be considered on an acting instructor basis.
- Education in curriculum development, evaluation, or teaching methods, or related experience in the above.
- Evidence of successful teaching of nursing in a college setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work with community college students.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with multi-ethnic, multi-cultural population.
- Ability to include writing assignments and critical thinking as part of the students’ learning experience.
- Willingness and ability to instruct using technology.
- Experience teaching nursing students in the clinical setting.
- Experience with patient simulations.
- Experience with computer mediated instruction.
- Clinical currency in area of expertise.
- Dean of Career and Technical Education
- Hawai`i Community College
- 1175 Manono Street
- Hilo, HI 96720
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.