Work at UH Advertisement
- Collaborates in the development and fabrication of instruments needed by the Physics research groups and in the construction of laboratory and related equipment.
- Maintains, operates, and develops programs for the Physics Dept. computer-numerically controlled (CNC) vertical machining center.
- Designs, develops, fabricates, modifies, rebuilds, calibrates, overhauls and/or repairs a variety of laboratory and research devices.
- Fabricates and repairs equipment used in the undergraduate and graduate level physics teaching laboratories.
- Diagnoses causes of mechanical or electrical malfunctions or failures of machine shop and research laboratory equipment.
- Uses schematics and maintenace manuals to locate and replace defective parts in testing equipment and machinery.
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of a vocational degree in machine shop technology and 3 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for completing necessary tasks for the fabrication & repair of laboratory equipment; or equivalent education/training or experience.
- Considerable working knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in the fabrication of research & instructional laboratory equipment as demonstrated by the broad knowledge of the full range of pertinent standard and evolving concepts, principles and methodologies.
- Considerable working knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations and theories and systems associated with general machine shop safety & the safe handling of materials.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve wide ranging complex problems through the use of creative reasoning and logic to accurately determine the cause of the problems and the resolution of the problems in an effective, innovative and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and present information and ideas clearly and accurately in writing, verbally and by preparation of reports and other materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members, and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and apply word processing software.
- For supervisory work, demonstrated ability to lead subordinates, manage work priorities and projects, and manage employee relations.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Experience and familiarity with CNC machining and programming.
- Experience with G-code CNC programming.
- Experience with MasterCAM computer aided manufacturing or equivalent.
- Department of Physics & Astronomy
- Watanabe Hall Rm 416
- 2505 Correa Rd.
- Honolulu, HI 96822
- Kevin Kuroda; 808-956-2968; firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
In accordance with Article 10A of the unit 08 collective bargaining agreement, bargaining unit members receive priority consideration for APT job vacancies. As a result, external or non BU 08 applicants may not be considered for some APT vacancies. BU 08 members with re-employment rights or priority status are responsible for informing the hiring unit of their status.