Work at UH Advertisement
- Under the general supervision of the chair, administer and implement all operational aspects of the chemistry graduate and undergraduate program.
- Designs assessment studies in collaboration with the chair, conducts research and analyzes resulting data to assess learning outcomes for graduate and undergraduate courses and programs by monitoring key benchmarks.
- Manages, implements and evaluates administrative activities such as registration planning, registration services, accreditation, graduate recruiting, and academic advising.
- Monitors electronic records to manage and coordinate registration overrides.
- Provides oversight and coordinates transfer evaluation requests.
- Develops and coordinates the schedule of classes.
- Manages and coordinates textbook orders.
- Coordinates and implements administrative changes required to execute program and course curriculum modifications.
- Responsible for the documentation of student academic progress (undergraduate and graduate), and expedites follow up action with participants and other units on campus.
- Coordinates registration and scheduling endeavors within the department and with other units on campus.
- Responsible for the coordination and implementation of all administrative personnel actions required to staff undergraduate teaching labs.
- Responsible for communications with current and prospective undergraduate and graduate students by administering and updating the departmental list servers, web pages.
- Monitors, implements and updates electronic databases to record and track relevant student information.
- Administers departmental scholarships by identifying appropriate candidates, notifying awardees, and coordinating payments
- Interprets, develops, implements, reviews and may modify policies and procedures to insure compliance.
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships within the UH system necessary to accomplish these duties.
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree in physical/biological/applied social sciences, education, or a related area and 3 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for academic programs in higher education (admission & records, registration, program review, assessment, advising) or academic personnel; or equivalent education/training or experience.
- Considerable working knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in the academic programs in higher education (admission & records, registration, program review, assessment, advising or academic personnel) as demonstrated by the broad knowledge of the full range of pertinent standard and evolving concepts, principles and methodologies.
- Considerable working knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations and theories and systems associated with academic programs in higher education (admission & records, registation, program review, assessment, advising) or academic personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve wide ranging complex problems through the use of creative reasoning and logic to accurately determine the cause of the problems and the resolution of the problems in an effective, innovative and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and present information and ideas clearly and accurately in writing, verbally and by preparation of reports and other materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members, and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and apply word processing software.
- For supervisory work, demonstrated ability to lead subordinates, manage work priorities and projects, and manage employee relations.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Masters' degree (or higher) in the sciences.
- Experience in the preparation of reports for the purposes of accreditation or student assessment in the academic setting.
- Working knowledge of University of Hawaii procedures and/or relevant programs in support of higher education, such as BANNER or STAR (registration and advising), PeopleSoft (hiring) or Kuali (purchasing and procurement).
- Familiarity with academic procedures and policies at higher educational institutions with undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Working knowledge of web-based tools (e.g. web page design, social media)
- Familiarity with undergraduate Chemistry and Biochemistry curriculums.
- Department of Chemistry
- University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 2545 McCarthy Mall
- Bilger Hall 239
- Honolulu, HI 96822
- Philip Williams; email@example.com
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
In accordance with Article 10A of the unit 08 collective bargaining agreement, bargaining unit members receive priority consideration for APT job vacancies. As a result, external or non BU 08 applicants may not be considered for some APT vacancies. BU 08 members with re-employment rights or priority status are responsible for informing the hiring unit of their status.