Work at UH Advertisement
- The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa invites applications for a distinguished professorship in Housing Policy and Affordability in the Department of Urban & Regional Planning (DURP) (.75 FTE) and the University of Hawai‘i Economic Research Organization (UHERO) in the Social Science Research Institute (SSRI) (.25 FTE), both of which are housed in College of Social Sciences with tenure based in DURP. The opening is at the Associate or Full Professor rank, full-time, 9-month, permanent, tenure track, beginning August 1, 2017, contingent on position clearance and availability of funds.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses on housing policy and planning in DURP.
- Supervise and mentor MA and PhD students, publish scholarly, peer-reviewed research in areas of expertise, and provide service to the department, research unit, and the university.
- As the Hawaii Community Reinvestment Corporation (HCRC) Chair in Housing Policy and Affordability, develop a research agenda in the area of housing policy with a focus on affordability and needs.
- Seek extramural funding to support this research agenda.
- Deliver research results and policy implications for Hawaii to stakeholders, the broader community, policy makers and planners through targeted consultation and outreach consistent with the DURP and UHERO missions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- An established publication record and research agenda in housing policy and experience with high-impact, academic, extramurally funded, housing policy research and outreach.
- Ph.D. in urban and regional planning, economics, or closely related field from an accredited college, university or foreign equivalent.
- Four (4) years of full-time college or university teaching at the rank of Assistant Professor or equivalent with evidence of increasing professional maturity; documentation of high quality teaching performance with demonstrated ability to mentor and advise students in the applicant’s area of research; scholarly achievement judged competent and adequate for rank in comparison with peers active in the same field at major research universities; continued evidence of participation in the scholarly and academic affairs of a university.
- In addition to the minimum qualifications of the Associate Professor rank, four years of full-time college or university teaching at the rank of associate professor or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain and manage extramural funding for housing research.
- It is expected that the individual will continue to seek extramural funding and contribute in a leadership role in the DURP, UHERO, and in the discipline.
- Demonstrated expertise in research, teaching, and service addressing shelter and affordable housing policy, planning, programs and projects.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues, community organizations, and policy makers in cooperative, cross-cultural, interdisciplinary endeavors.
- Karen Umemoto, Professor and Chair; 808-956-7383; email@example.com
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.