Work at UH Advertisement

Assistant Professor
Position Number:
Hiring Unit:
C of Trop Agr and Human Resources, Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences
Manoa Campus
Date Posted:
October 04, 2016
Closing Date:
Continuous - application review begins November 21, 2016
Monthly Type:
11 Month
Tenure Track:
Full Time/Part Time:
Full Time

Other Conditions:
  • To begin approximately July 1, 2017 or soon thereafter. For best consideration, application materials should be received by November 18, 2016.
Duties and Responsibilities
  1. Serve as Dietetics Program Director. The program director is responsible for ensuring that all ACEND accreditation standards, policies and procedures will be met. The program director is also responsible for conducting annual program assessment, as required by the University of Hawai`i at Manoa.
  2. Teach undergraduate and graduate classes related to dietetics and nutrition in line with departmental priorities.
  3. Recruit, mentor, evaluate, and counsel prospective and current undergraduate students in the
  4. Food Science and Human Nutrition-Dietetics Program.
  5. Develop an extension specialist plan of work that may include, but is not limited to, continuing education opportunities for dietetics professionals.
  6. Publish scholarly work, such as on instructional and program-related activities.
  7. Obtain extramural funding to support program activities.
  8. Participate in departmental, college, and university committee work and service.
  9. Foster relationships with the community, emphasizing needs of the Hawai‘i-Pacific region.
Minimum Qualifications
  1. A doctorate in nutrition or related discipline from a college or university of recognized standing. ABD candidates may be considered, but all degree requirements must be completed at the time of hire.
  2. Demonstrated ability as a teacher.
  3. Demonstrated scholarly achievement.
  4. Poise and good address for meeting and conferring with others.
Desirable Qualifications
  1. R.D.N. plus at least three years of related experience after obtaining the R.D.N.
  2. Demonstrated ability to teach college-level classes.
  3. Experience developing and teaching distance learning courses.
  4. Experience leading or participating in global research, education, or development projects.
  5. Leadership experience.
  6. Ability to understand diverse/underserved populations and to develop programs that address the needs of these populations, particularly communities and cultures within Hawai‘i and across the Pacific.

To Apply:
Submit the following to the address listed below: 1) Cover letter indicating how you satisfy the minimum and desirable qualifications, 2) curriculum vitae, 3 ) names and contact information for at least three professional references and 4) official transcripts (copies accepted, however official transcripts will be required upon hire).
  1. Dr. Jinzeng Yang
  2. Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences
  3. College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources
  4. 1910 East West Road, room 216
  5. Honolulu, HI 96822
  1. Dr. Jinzeng Yang; 808-956-6073;

The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.

Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.

In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at:, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.