Work at UH Advertisement
- Under the general supervision of the Director of the Office of Faculty Development and Academic Support (OFDAS) and Senior Faculty Specialist at the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE), this position supports the improvement, development and enhancement of university teaching and the highlighting and recognition of excellence in teaching at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa (UHM).
- Collaborating with OFDAS director and staff to develop, promote and host all OFDAS and CTE pedagogical and faculty development events and programs.
- Organizing, promoting and conducting mid-semester evaluation services, diagnostic assessments and subsequent individual consultations offered to faculty and TAs. Includes training and organizing part-time seasonal evaluators to provide these services.
- Maintaining established and developing new workshop and seminar events to support high impact teaching practices for new and junior faculty, and graduate Teaching Assistants (TAs).
- Coordinating events for mid-career and senior UHM faculty to enhance teaching performance (e.g. updating and upgrading teaching and learning practices and revitalization in relation to classroom teaching, and technology and teaching proficiencies).
- Promoting programs and providing individual consultations with faculty and other teaching staff with regard to teaching and related professional development issues, for example: through organizing and presenting at New Faculty Orientations, TA Trainings, and instructional development workshops.
- Working collaboratively and reciprocally with individuals in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM} disciplines, STEM departments and colleges across UHM to create and promote professional development opportunities and engaged teaching practices.
- Researching and producing materials on teaching, learning, diversity and technology for faculty and teaching staff in STEM fields.
- Coordinating faculty professional development programs with considerations given to social diversities with underrepresented Indigenous Asian and/or Pacific populations.
- Promoting and providing support to the proposal, selection, and orientation processes for faculty submitting requests to teach in innovative and collaborative classroom environments developed by CTE.
- Respecting and upholding the ethic and practice of confidentiality with regard to every aspect of faculty development.
- May participate and/or attend local and national conferences including Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD} conferences on teaching and professional development, pedagogy and related topics.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree from a college or university of recognized standing; one year of experience in a University faculty professional development program or its equivalent represented by successful practice in the appropriate field.
- Experience in teaching at the University level and documentation of excellence in teaching, evidenced by student and, if available, peer evaluations.
- Experience in developing and delivering high-impact teaching and learning programs to support best practices for faculty and others teaching students at the University level.
- Experience in working both independently and collaboratively with faculty, TAs, staff, department chairs, deans and/or administrators to generate and sustain a climate of collegiality and respect for the role of faculty professional development at a diverse and complex post-secondary institution.
- Experience communicating effectively with large groups of individuals as well as in one on-one confidential consultation with academic community members, including faculty, teaching assistants, students, department chairs and/or college deans.
- Master's degree from a college or university of recognized standing in a STEM discipline.
- Experience at a comparable center for teaching excellence and faculty development program in a university setting, providing support to faculty through developing teaching and course evaluation methods.
- Experience in researching, designing, creating and evaluating multimedia materials to meet educational, visual design, and professional production standards in a university setting.
- Experience developing and conducting faculty professional development programs within the complex dynamics of university teaching and learning with underrepresented Indigenous, Asian and/or Pacific populations.
- Experience teaching in a STEM discipline.
- Experience developing and conducting faculty professional development programs within the University of Hawai'i system.
- University of Hawaii
- Office of Faculty Development and Academic Support
- Center for Teaching Excellence
- 1733 Donaghho Road, Kuykendall 107
- Honolulu, HI 96822
- Rena Higa; firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawaii may be viewed at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.